Woodgrove High School PTSO Meeting Minutes
Date: October 25, 2011
Place: Woodgrove High School, Library
Meeting called to order by: Ian Kobler, President
Approval of Minutes
There was a motion and it was seconded to approve the minutes of the board meeting of September 13, 2011. The motion passed.
President: Ian Kobler
Ian provided an update on the bylaws.
Since we are a non-profit, we need to make sure that an attorney reviews the donation letter for graduation activities so that the tax-free information is accurate.
1st VP: Susanne Kahler
Continue to support the membership drive. Continues to work closely with Karen on the Project Graduation committee. In the process of reviewing the contract for AdventureLand for the graduation party.
2nd VP: Anthony Benthall
The ACT/SAT practice test is set for Saturday, 11/12. We have 84 students registered so far. The supply list will be provided after the 1st. We have an option of offering a class in the Spring, this is still under discussion. Need to consider the availability of the building, availability of a qualified instructor, as well as other things.
Also, hearing and vision screening is scheduled for 11/14-15. A request for volunteers will be sent out.
Treasurer: Lisa Hale
Secretary: Adrienne Lyne
Hospitality: Stephanie Caines
Anthony presented the Hospitality update: The Fall Dance is all set with donations. Additional volunteers are needed for the Senior Tailgate party.
Also looking for additional bakers for the teachers’ appreciation in November. We will be making mini-pumpkin loaves. December will be a cookie swap, and January/February there will be a “souper” Friday.
Stephanie Caines has asked if the Board can find a new Chairperson starting in January. She would like to stay involved, but can’t chair the committee. Discussion was that we should look for 2-3 people to co-chair due to the amount of involvement.
Membership: Tracey Downing
Fundraising: Jen Kobler
Ian presented the Fundraising update: We are all set for the Citrus Sale, have all the materials that need to be distributed. Discussed the best way to distribute the flyers, agreed to put them in the first block teachers’ mailboxes. Will post the information on the PTSO website and will include the online ordering option. Ian will send the information so that it can be included in the Blue Ridge Leader.
The committee would like to consider hosting an Art Fair in the future, it is too late to organize for this year. Heritage and Broad Run host a fair and have huge success. We would need to start working on this in the Spring for 2012-13 school year. A portion of the proceeds go to the school and a portion to the PTSO. People from all over come and sell their art, and school groups don’t have to pay to participate.
Discussed the “Every Penny” option that some schools are participating in. This is the option to donate via text message. It is not offered here at WHS.
Volunteer: Chris Vann
Anthony presented the Volunteer update: We have plenty of volunteers for the Fall Dance. Still need volunteers for the Senior Tailgating party, will send out another request.
A request will be sent out for volunteers for the hearing/vision screening. Also will send out a request for volunteers to help with the Citrus Sale paperwork.
Barb discussed the process for getting information submitted to the WW. There has been a lot of information lately, which has caused multiple editions of the WW, sometimes within the same week. We discussed the current deadlines and a proposal was made to move the submission deadline from Friday to Wednesday to give more time to compile. Another suggestion was made to get more volunteers to assist with the WW. Barb has reached out to Tammy Pyle to if any journalism students can help, and this could count as community service hours.
The discussion continued about how we could improve the content of the WW and reduce the multiple e-mails that get sent out. Some ideas were to split volunteer requests and the Woodgrove Weekly content. Need to plan for next year and how we can improve our communication methods.
Kaplan updated was discussed as part of the 2nd Vice-President’s report.
The citrus sale information was provided as part of the Fundraising report.
There was no report on the School Rewards Program. Deferred to next meeting.
Rhonda Wells presented the LEAP update: There was a School Board Candidate Forum on 10/12 where the candidates were introduced and each was given 5 minutes to speak. The November LEAP meeting will focus on Bullies and other hazards.
Nichelle Watts-Rivera presented the MSAAC update: The MSAAC held their first meeting which was more of an introductory meeting. They discussed goals, communications, membership, and student advocacy. The question was raised about having an equity team at WHS. Ric is open to suggestions for an equity team, they didn’t have any issues last year, but would consider for this year. WHS did start a Multi-Cultural club this year.
Rhonda Wells presented the Project Graduation update: We have the contract from Adventure Park for the Post-Graduation party. There were 252 students from the senior class who voted. The ticket cost is $75, this is based on 130 students. The time is tentatively scheduled for 9:30p-1:30a, however the exact time will be confirmed later. Adventure Park was selected because:
· They have a history for having after-graduation parties
· No traffic since not going into DC
Project Graduation would like to set up a website with information on fundraising, count-down ticker, updates from the committee, fundraising thermometer, etc. The group agreed this would be a good idea, so Rhonda will work with Ian on the best approach for the website.
Fundraising for Project Graduation has begun. Adventure Park has a Christmas Wonderland and we can get $2 for every online purchase. Need to get this information out to area elementary and middle schools. Other fundraising activities will include holiday gift-wrap booths, movie madness, bake sales, corsage sales, and a show featuring Jimmy Gibson (hypnotist). Buffalo Wild Wings would love to host another fundraiser as well, and they are good to work with.
Principal’s Report: Rick Gauriloff
Still looking for speakers for graduation. Any suggestions should be submitted to the Principal’s office. There was a question about beach week, Ric reiterated that there is no school-sponsored beach week, nor does the school promote beach week.
· “Homecoming” – 10/28/2011
· Kaplan SAT/ACT test – 11/12/2011
· Next board meeting will be Tuesday, November 9, at 7pm at Woodgrove High School
Meeting adjourned at: 8:18 pm
Minutes compiled by: Adrienne Lyne, Secretary