As you read, ask yourself these questions. If you answer "yes" to most of the questions then the book is probably too easy for you. You can still have fun reading it, but next time try to choose a book that is a little more challenging.
As you read, ask yourself these questions. If you find that you answer YES to most of these questions, then the book is probably too hard for you. Don't forget about the book, just try it again later. As you gain experience in choosing "just right" books, you may find when you pick the book up again that it is "just right."
As you read, ask yourself these questions. If you answer YES to most of them then the book you are reading is probably "just right" for you. These are the books that will help you make the most progress in your reading. Read, enjoy and learn from the experience!
1. Have you read this book many times before?
1. Are there more than five words on a page that you don't recognize or know the meaning of? (Open the book to a page in the middle. If you have trouble reading more than five words on the page, then it's too hard for you.)
1. Is this book new to you?
2. Are you confused about what is happening in most of the book?
2. Do you understand most of the book?
3. Do you know and understand almost every word?
3. When you read, does it sound choppy?
3. Are there less than five words per page that you don't recognize or know the meaning to instantly?
4. Can you read it smoothly and fluently without much practice or effort?
4. Is everyone busy and unable to help you if you have a tricky word?