Loudoun County Public Schools Mission Statement
The mission of the Loudoun County Public Schools is to work closely with students, families, and the community to provide a superior education, safe schools, and a climate for success. The educational programs of Loudoun County Public Schools will strive to meet or exceed federal, state, and local requirements for assessment of achievement and to promote intellectual growth, individual initiative, mutual respect, and personal responsibility for productive citizenship.
Loudoun County Public Schools Goals
- LCPS will ensure that all graduates demonstrate readiness for continuing education and entry level skills for immediate employment.
- LCPS will continue to provide full-day kindergarten for at-risk students and will develop a long-term plan to establish full-day kindergarten for all students countywide.
- LCPS will ensure that at least 92% of students will pass all required Standards of Learning (SOL) tests.
- LCPS will ensure that students and schools will attain the annual measurable objectives called for in the Adequate Yearly Progress requirements of NCLB.
- LCPS will identify and reduce the disparity in achievement among all educationally accepted subgroups.
- LCPS will ensure that students in identified racial, ethnic, and socio-economic groups will exceed all requirements of Standards of Learning and NCLB.
- LCPS will ensure that all students demonstrate grade level reading proficiency by the end of the first grade or will have an individualized program of reading instruction.
- LCPS will improve English language literacy among all students, especially those who are identified as Limited English Proficient.
- LCPS shall significantly improve ACT and SAT performance.
- LCPS will enhance and expand alternative education programs.
- LCPS will expand its academy programs to serve students with special interests and abilities.
- LCPS will review and revise career and technical programs to meet evolving employment and post-secondary educational requirements.
- LCPS high schools will expand opportunities for student involvement in school-sponsored co-curricular activities.
- LCPS will strive to incorporate 21st century global skills into the curriculum.
School staffing will be sufficient to provide for the following average class sizes:
||21.6 (Teaching 6 of 8 periods a day)|
||25.9 (Teaching 5 of 8 periods a day)|
|* A teacher assistant will be added to each half-day kindergarten class that exceeds 15 students.|
** A teacher assistant will be added for the grade level when all classes at the grade level have enrolled 25 students and one class enrolls the 26th student.
*** A teacher assistant will be added for the grade level when all classes at the grade level have enrolled 27 students and one class enrolls the 28th student.
Compensation, Recruitment, and Retention of Staff
- LCPS will offer a competitive recruitment, compensation, and professional development package that will attract highly qualified candidates and retain employees who meet established performance standards.
- LCPS will continue to explore methods for improving the quantity and quality of instructional and team planning time.
- LCPS will increase recruitment and employment of minority applicants for teaching and administrative/supervisory positions.
- LCPS will expand support for National Board Certification and other forms of developing teacher excellence.
Growth and Resource Parity
- LCPS will manage the effects of growth and use methods for assessing parity between older and newer campuses to ensure that all students, faculty and staff have access to quality facilities, resources, and instructional programs.
- LCPS will provide necessary and sufficient district level staffing in order to maintain excellence in a large and rapidly growing system.
- LCPS will continue to use scarce resources wisely by conserving energy, recycling materials whenever possible, and by educating students on best environmental practices.
- LCPS will annually prepare ten-year planning documents combining the Capital Improvements Program and the projected capital needs contained in the ten-year Capital Needs Assessment.
- LCPS will strive to establish paperless practices.
- LCPS will enhance community relations by frequent communication and through maximized opportunities for public input related to issues under consideration by the School Board.
- LCPS will increase community participation by regular distribution of school information to the citizens of Loudoun County, including an Annual report regarding progress made toward achieving system goals.
- LCPS will increase the outreach to parents of pre-school and school age children in order to increase parental awareness of available services, such as educational programs focused on parenting skills and the opportunities that already exist for testing, evaluation and special education services for children as young as two years of age.
- LCPS will promote increased involvement of parents, businesses and the community, and PTA's, PTO's, PTSA's and PTSO's will be recognized as essential partners in every school.
- LCPS will provide means to include parental input in assessment of school performance.
- LCPS will develop content and maintenance standards for all components of individual school Web sites to ensure that students and parents throughout Loudoun County will have access to the information they need for academic progress and success.
- LCPS will enhance the capabilities of schools and related infrastructure to facilitate emergency preparedness in the County and the safety of LCPS students and personnel.
- LCPS will ensure its home page calendar includes all known School Board meetings at least 60 days in advance and include major agenda topics once the agenda has been set.
Health, Safety, and Wellness
- LCPS will promote programs that enhance students' and employees' health, safety, and well-being.
- LCPS will strengthen programs that support safe learning environments free of bullying, teasing, and physical violence.
- LCPS will address student and employee obesity through programs developed to improve nutrition and promote physical fitness through lifetime activities.