My name is Robin Mong and I am the Parent Liaison for Horizon Elementary School. The Parent Liaison is a Loudoun County Public School staff member (not a volunteer position) who works to bridge the gap between home and school by helping parents get the information and support they need to ensure their child’s academic and social success. Each Parent Liaison is different based on the needs of the school community, staff, and student body. My mission is to include and embrace the community and build connections to the learning community. Often parents feel uncomfortable about sharing their questions or concerns with teachers or school administration. Because good communication is a vital part of your child’s academic success, the Parent Liaison will listen to your concerns and then work with you to make sure that your situation, questions or point of view is expressed and understood. My role is to work to improve the communication between school and home by helping you get the information, help and support you need to ensure your child’s academic and social success at school.
Some of the ways that I may assist you are:
• Explain programs and resources available to you and your child;
• Discuss ways you can become more involved in the school;
• Help parents in supporting children’s homework and academic achievement;
• Have a concern or question about school rules and regulations;
• Go to teachers, counselors, and school administration on behalf of parents with questions or concerns;
• Help arrange meetings between you and your child’s teachers, guidance counselors, and school administration;
• Attend parent teacher conferences or important meeting at the school to help clarify information about your child or home situation;
• Arrange for interpreters if you need to communicate in your own language;
• Guide you to community resources when special help may be needed,
• Give personal tours of the school (you do not have to be a new parent to get a school tour).
Our goal at Horizon is to ensure that the students and their family have a positive educational experience. I look forward to assisting you throughout the school year. Catch the Horizon Spirit!
I can be reached by calling the main office at 571-434-3260 or through e-mail at Robin.Mong@lcps.org. My school hours are Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. I am also available other days and times by appointment only.